What I Write About

I write about the infinite number of intersections between every day life and the good news of the God who has come to get us.

Thursday, January 19, 2006

Sevens

Last week Macon Stokes on Kith and Kin did a list of "seven things" and called me out to do the same. Here is my own feeble attempt at a number of sevens:

7 "I remember this scene exactly" Moments:
*Hearing the news on September 11th
*Seeing the news coverage of the Space Shuttle Challenger explosion (the September 11th equivalent of my generation's school years)
*Getting my acceptance letter to UNC
*Proposing to my wife
*Cutting Davis' cord at his birth
*Cutting Zoe's cord at her birth
*Praying with my mom to receive Christ in a small church in Vermont

7 Things that I cannot do that I think a father should be able to do:
*Whistle
*Fix anything (as in, a father should be able to fix anything...and I can't fix anything)
*Draw
*Teach my kid any one sport skill really well
*Juggle
*Make up crazy/funny/adventurous stories off the top of my head
*Eat lima beans without wincing

7 Books I'd like every Christian to read:
*The Business of Heaven--365 days getting a glorious sampling of C.S. Lewis' thought
*Future Grace--John Piper
*Inside Out--Larry Crabb
*Divine Conspiracy--Dallas Willard
*Divided by Faith--Michael Emerson and Christian Smith
*Christ Plays in Ten Thousand Places--Eugene Peterson

7 Things I'd like to see in my lifetime:
*Davis and Zoe coming to faith
*A 3-peat in college or pro football
*My 50th wedding anniversary
*The Grand Canyon
*The church (and para-church!) joyfully reconciled and integrated across racial lines
*Winning my fantasy football league (probably the least likely of the seven)
*Revival at UNC or VCU--two places I have spent my entire adult life praying over

7 Thoughts I've had this week:
*"Man, how do we get Davis to sleep to a more Godly hour?" (5:15 a.m. wake-up this morning)
*A corollary to the above: "Man, what the heck am I going to do next week without grandparents here to get Davis when he wakes up at the aforementioned ungodly hour?"
*A corollary to the above: "Man, how did any family survive traveling west in covered wagons a couple hundred years ago?"
*On a different note: "I wonder if Peter Jackson will let me borrow The Shire if I live to my 111th birthday?" (I've been watching The Fellowship of the Ring with the writer/director commentary on and Jackson says that he so loved the Shire set he bought it from the studio and put it in storage.)
*"How do we develop a missional community out of our leadership team this weekend at leadership retreat?"
*"Lost is killing me by stretching every next little step in the plot into one whole episode."
*"Man, if I did a 'sevens' list like Macon did, what the heck would I say?"

5 comments:

Shane Arthur said...

I will teach you to juggle!

Alex said...

sweet, shane! can we start with flaming batons? anyone else got some mad skills they can teach me so I can be a more well-rounded dad? any lima bean lovers out there??

Macon said...

*Fix anything (as in, a father should be able to fix anything...and I can't fix anything)

Dude! Yes you can! You live in the South: you can be fixin' to do just about anything.

*Teach my kid any one sport skill really well

Whatever. You have the maddest frisbee golf skills I've ever seen. Of course, Davis will need to have his throwing arm surgically amplified with an additional tendon if he's going to be just like his dad.

Bart said...

Ok, so i bit the bug...i couldn't resist seeing a life goal as winning your fantasy bootball league.

I had been so inspired by your blog these last few weeks..only to be let down by this foolish tilting after windmills.

Alex said...

welcome to the blogospher, bart,and thanks for jumping in with your snarky comment!

it wouldn't hurt so much if it wasn't so true. i managed to find a way to be the worst team in the league EVEN with Peyton Manning as my qb.

but then again, the Colts can't seem to find a way to win with him, either.