What I Write About

I write about the infinite number of intersections between every day life and the good news of the God who has come to get us.

Thursday, January 15, 2009

Safe at Home & My Top 10 Hard Rock Songs of All Time

This morning I boarded a plane in Chicago (-6 Farenheit, -30 windchill when I left). I landed at Raleigh-Durham International airport and as I was strolling through to baggage claim I saw breaking news: a plane just crashed into the Hudson River.

Fortunately it looks like everyone got out safe. Sounds like the pilot was a rock star.

It makes me want to hug my kids extra-hard when they come back home from Nanny and Grampy's tomorrow.

On a totally un-related note, I heard from someone recenlty that VH-1 selected Guns 'N Roses "Welcome to the Jungle" as the greatest hard rock song of all time. As a formerly devoted G-N-R fan, I must say that I take great delight in Axl and Co. being awarded such a lofty honor, but I liked "Paradise City" better.

My Top 10 Hard Rock/Hair Band Songs of All Time:

10. Def Leppard, Pour Some Sugar on Me
9. Jane's Addiction, Been Caught Stealin'
8. Van Halen, Jump
7. AC/DC, Back in Black
6. Motley Crue, Dr. Feelgood
5. Metallica, Enter Sandman
4. Bon Jovi, Livin' on a Prayer
3-1: Guns 'N Roses: Welcome to the Jungle, Sweet Child O' Mine, Paradise City

5 comments:

Grayson J. said...

Nice countdown. Jane's Addiction seems a little anachronistic in there though...?

Alex said...

really? if "jump" was on the album appropriately labeled "1984" and I believe Def Leopard's "Let's Get Rocked" was released circa 1991, then I think that puts Janes in good company in terms of when it was released.

but i do think that jane's probably fits in a different category other than "hard rock." vh-1 included nirvana's "smells like teen spirit" in their top 10 of hard rock songs, so i figured i could fudge the categories a bit myself.

Grayson J. said...

Gotcha. Some songs defy categorization and 'Stealin' is one of them.

BTW, I believe they spell it 'Leppard'. It was the 80's, after all...

Chef, Interrupted said...

Daniel and I want to know if you watched the kazoo trio (with angry-face beat-box man) YouTube video of song#5 on your list.

Alex said...

grayson--thanks for the 'leppard' fix, i also changed the song.

laura, i did see that, hilarious...