What I Write About

I write about the infinite number of intersections between every day life and the good news of the God who has come to get us.

Friday, January 23, 2009

Sabbatical Journey Day 63: Inklings of Awakening

The most surprising part about the start of my sabbatical was how tired I was. Accordingly, I found that I had very little interest in thinking/talking/engaging with "ministry stuff." I was relieved to just go to church, sit on my butt, lead my little small group through James, and hang out.

A couple of weeks ago I started to worry: what if I was still un-interested in ministry stuff in mid-March when I had to go back to campus and think about ministry stuff?

But this past Sunday we had a church-wide new-year congregational meeting. We were talking about the challenges that we face as a growing church plant meeting in a school gymnasium in uncertain economic times: space issues, budget concerns, opportunities for growth, etc.

And I found myself pretty jazzed about it. What could I do? Where could I jump in?

The answer for now, of course, is nothing and no where. I'm on sabbatical and it's good for me to fast from those impulses for the rest of this precious and short season.

But I've gotta' admit that it was a little bit of a relief to find that those impulses were still there.

No comments: