What I Write About

I write about the infinite number of intersections between every day life and the good news of the God who has come to get us.

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Overdue Book Plug

This past fall, my bro released a book: Unlocking Romans.

For Christmas he sent me my very own autographed copy. I've been reading it over the past couple of days. Great, great stuff.

Daniel's writing at a pretty academic level, so this book isn't for everyone. But if you're someone who enjoys a graduate-level study of biblical issues (i.e. if N.T. Wright is on the back of your toilet or on your bedside table), then I'd recommend it.

In terms of Protestant church history, Romans is one of the most central books in all Scripture. Ergo, there's lots that's been written about it over the past many hundred years. You don't have to know every argument that Daniel's countering to get the gist of the book: that the bodily resurrection of Jesus is the primary lens through which we best understand Paul's argument in Romans--even though it's mostly been glossed over throughout the years.

From there, Daniel goes on to apply what it might mean to embrace the resurrection of Christ as a focal point for all of Christian living, not just understanding Romans.

Like I said, it's really good stuff. I'm just bummed that my little brother's book came out before mine: Small Group Leader's Handbook coming to a book distributor near you in November, 2009. Makes a great stocking stuffer!

2 comments:

Em the luddite said...

Ya know, it doesn't really surprise me that Daniel gave you your very own autographed copy of his own book for Christmas...

Alex said...

yeah, i know em, tell me about it.