What I Write About

I write about the infinite number of intersections between every day life and the good news of the God who has come to get us.

Sunday, October 26, 2008

Saying Thank You

At some point in my teenage years, I was grumpy that God demanded that we thank him all the time. What was his major malfunction that he needed us to prop him up so much? Couldn't I just live my life without having to find a way that God was responsible for the good things that happened so I could force some prayer of gratitude?

I mean, I cringed when the defensive back gave all the honor and glory to Jesus in the post-game interview for tripping up the wide receiver on the goal-line slant. Sure, some big things were cool to thank God for, but some of it felt a little demanding. Why was it always about him?

Now that I have kids, much has become clear that was once fuzzy.

When I pour the juice for my kids, they need to say thank you. Not because I need to be propped up by my two-year-old. Not just so that they won't appear rude when we're out in public or when they're relating to others. They need to thank me because I don't want them to become rude, self-absorbed people.

My children are dependent creatures. All of us are. It is a good and proper and right thing for them to live in the reality of that. It is a good and right and proper thing for me to live in the reality of that as well.

And of course that can go to an extreme and they can become co-dependent or never learn healthy inter-dependence (I don't actually think "independence" is a Biblical/Christian value). But right now, that's not the issue. The issue is that they recognize the good thing that is the gift of someone supplying a need. That's my issue, too.

There is tremendous blessing in realizing that we are made to have healthy inter-dependent relationships where real needs are met in real-time by an outside source. It is not all up to us to make it on our own. It relieves one of having to be God...a terrible self-imposed burden carried by far too many in our world.

God doesn't need me thank him to make him feel good about himself. God needs me to thank him so that I don't end up a spoiled brat. And to start with, I'm grateful that he loves me enough to want good things for me...like becoming a person of integrity, someone that'd be worth hanging out with when I'm older.

I hope my kids might be on that path, too.

1 comment:

Bonnie said...

Isn't it amazing how many things become so much clearer after we become parents !! I have had many "ah ha" moments since Jono was born almost 7 years ago !!!