What I Write About

I write about the infinite number of intersections between every day life and the good news of the God who has come to get us.

Monday, October 27, 2008

Caught v. Taught

A couple of weeks ago we had a wise, veteran staff come and do some teaching on prayer at a leadership meeting. In our pre-meeting with him, he commented that prayer is "more caught than taught." That is, we learn to pray and grow in our passion for prayer as we pray, not as we study about it.

This resonated with my own experience. When I'm in a sweet season of prayer, it most often comes about as a result of having the time and space and initial inclination to pray and to get in a groove over several days. Alas, I'm not quite at such a place currently.

But the comment got me thinking about other things that are more caught than taught. Here's an initial list:

-Riding a bike
-Throwing a frisbee
-Appreciating art
-Appreciating poetry
-Drawing/painting
-Writing well (including blogging...oi, my posts have been choppy and full of poor form recently, a thousand apologies to my dear readers)
-Reading for formation v. reading for information
-Small talk
-Negotiating a good deal
-Appreciating the cultural nuances of the State Fair
-Parenting
-Beat-boxing

Like I said, just an initial list. Some of those things are on the list because I've never "caught" them, even though I've made learned attempts to do so.

Other things that could go in the "caught, not taught" category?

1 comment:

Macon said...

Snappy Dressing?

more seriously:
a Work Ethic