What I Write About

I write about the infinite number of intersections between every day life and the good news of the God who has come to get us.

Monday, August 21, 2006

"So what year are you in school?"

You'd think at age 32 I'd stop getting this question.

But Saturday morning as we sweated and shuffled with freshmen and their families moving into high rise dorms, I heard it again. Parents, students, it doesn't matter.

I'm 32 and I still look like I'm 20. In the long run, this might be good, but sometimes in this biz, it gets a little tiring.

Speaking of tiring, I'd love prayers for energy and endurance--a weekend full of activities and events, a day-long retreat today and lots more later this week.

6 comments:

Anna Willett said...

Alex,
As always, you are in my prayers. Together we will be the ambiguous student ministers. Student or leader? huh... Perhaps one day we will both turn gray and wrinkled and we will never again be asked what grade we are starting... then again maybe things are better this way.
love to you, Kelly & the kids!
Anna

Megan said...

You need to make yourself a t-shirt with a photo of both your kids on the front and wear it all the time. Not only will you get to show off your kids, but I should think it would make people think twice before asking if you're a third-year college undergraduate student.
Or maybe just get a "COLLEGE" shirt and write "GRADUATE" underneath it?

Unknown said...

Ahh! I kept on thinking it would stop. I tried to wear really "adult" looking clothes. But alas, I was continually asked, "are you a freshmen?" But on the plus side, my mom got carded until she was over 40, and at 54 still can pass for many, many years younger. It'll be really great then. But for now, it makes me feel like I have nothing to offer, because "adults" refuse to take me seriously. I feel ya, AK, I feel ya.

Macon said...

awesome. I think you should just say, "I'm a perspective student."

Jason Murray said...

that's why i had to grow some facial hair . . . it gives me credibility

Bart said...

you didn't play it right man...one year i was given 20 bucks for helping them move their loft up the stairs...take the cash and run my friend