What I Write About

I write about the infinite number of intersections between every day life and the good news of the God who has come to get us.

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Another Mall-Star Sighting

Those of you who have been long-time Piebald Life readers know that I frequent our local mall, Southpointe, for two reasons: 1. Davis loves the play land area and 2. Celebrity jocks hang out there all the time. Last spring I had three Marion Jones sightings, once with her son at the play land for an extended time during which I can testify that she took no performance enhancing drung.

Last night I gathered with Brian Wilcox, Shawn Morrison and Dave Shepley for a little dinner at Champps. All four of us have played fantasy football together at various points and for Shawn and Dave, it was draft night. Our conversation was deeply spiritual, stuff that I'm still pondering this morning: fantasy football draft picks, fantasy baseball, were we going to see Snakes on a Plane, has Samuel L. Jackson ever done a "great movie," and did Shaft count as a "great movie." Questions we all ponder.

On the way out I was saying to Shawn that we needed to look around because you almost always see someone you know at Southpointe mall. And then we saw some folks we knew, sitting right there at a table: Sean May and Raymond Felton with a bunch of other guys who I think had high hopes that their tabs were going to be picked up by the former UNC greats and current NBA over-paids.

Dave, being a former IU Hoosier, was tempted to tell May that he still should have gone IU, but broke from his usual character and showed restraint.

I just chalked it up to yet another star-sighting at the mall...why are these people following me?

4 comments:

Macon said...

did it ever occur to you that perhaps they were there hoping to see you?


hmmmmm?

reba said...

Suttons in the summer is also a great (UNC) celebrity jock hang-out as well as the Red Lobster. Saw Kris Lang there like 100 times.

I've done my best people watching at Southpoint.

Unbreakable is an excellent movie as well as A Time to Kill.

Alex said...

Unbreakable was definitely in the discussion...I never saw Time to Kill.

Basically we decided that he'd been in a number of good movies, but no great ones--except Wilcox who still thinks that all those lame Star Wars movies were great.

reba said...

you missed your chance to rail me for being at the Red Lobby on 15-501.

i would agree with the SLJ theory.. no great movies.