What I Write About

I write about the infinite number of intersections between every day life and the good news of the God who has come to get us.

Thursday, May 07, 2009

Year-End Reflections: Toxins, Inebriation, & Calling Cali

Today is my students' last day of exams. This day generally calls for overly-inebriated celebration by the students and a more reflective celebration by me.

Clearly, my four month sabbatical and the events leading up to that time were the most significant parts of the school year.

But the six weeks back have been really good for me to continue to work out the good soul-work that I did while I sat in Panera for three hours a day for four months with my Bible, journal, Ipod and the occasional book.

The most significant difference in me on campus coming off my sabbatical is my eagerness to keep short accounts on things toxic in my soul.

One afternoon I found myself driving home with tons of doubt, discouragement, and frustration rolling around in my head. Rather than simply trying to talk myself down off the ledge as I would normally do, I realized I needed help.

I called my brother out in Cali, told him what had happened that day, asked him to pray for me. He did, right there on the phone. And as he prayed truth over me I felt the angst wash away. It was a prayer of cleansing that I needed before I got home.

Rather than bury the toxins only for them to come back and bite me another day, I was washed clean of them. I have found myself doing this lots over the past six weeks: calling friends, asking them to pray over me as I've found my thoughts or my heart in places that were not healthy or holy.

Summer time will be a nice return to the sabbatical rhythms of being home with the family more at nights and extra time and space for study and reflection.

But I hope that I might maintain this commitment to releasing the crud through the generous love of the people in my life rather than playing through it. It's way healthier...and I don't get another sabbatical for seven more years.

No comments: