What I Write About

I write about the infinite number of intersections between every day life and the good news of the God who has come to get us.

Friday, May 01, 2009

Maps in the Hands of an Angry God

Earlier this week I was looking over my bookshelf and came across some old Bibles. As I surveyed the tattered-ness of said Bibles, it reminded me of the wise words of one Scott Love, a friend of mine from college.

It seems that for the two decades of the '80's and '90's it was a requirement in Bible-publishing to include at the end of the Bible full-color maps of various Biblical events: the Israelites journey from Egypt through the wilderness, Jesus' travels and significant events, the missionary journeys of Paul, and so on.

But the thing about these lovely full-color maps was that they were always the first to fall out of your Bible. Which brings us to the wisdom of my friend Scott (now "doctor") Love and the point of today's post.

The reason why the maps fall out first is because it's not a part of canonized Scripture! If God had wanted us to have Paul's second missionary journey, he would have included that to begin with!

Thanks, Scott. This post is dedicated to you, wherever you are, whatever your doing. Your legacy lives on.

No comments: