What I Write About

I write about the infinite number of intersections between every day life and the good news of the God who has come to get us.

Monday, April 07, 2008

Wheat Growers Unite

It's been gray and drizzly for the past several days here in the greater Chapel Hill area. This more or less matches the mood on campus after UNC got pounded by Kansas in the Final Four this weekend.

Clearly, I'm no basketball coach. And I'm not saying that I could have navigated the game better than Roy Williams did on Saturday night. But seriously, at some point during a 25-2 run don't you call a time-out and try to stop the carnage?

A couple of months ago I was talking with a couple at church who are in the small group Bible study that meets in our house. They are from Kansas and were letting me in on the deep emotional pain and baggage they have after coach Roy Williams jilted them to come back to Carolina. Ergo, they hate all things UNC. Especially, of course, the basketball team.

"How do you Kansas-ins feel about the other really flat States around you...say, Nebraska?" I asked, "Do you hate them too or do all of you wheat-growing States pretty much stick together."

"Yeah," said Paul, " we pretty much stick together."

So on behalf of all of us here in a dreary Chapel Hill to all of you wheat-growing States out there, congrats on a good win and best of luck tonight against Memphis.

1 comment:

Jeff said...

If its any consolation, a lot of us Badger fans were rooting for UNC. I had you pitted against UCLA in the final game, and have now more or less lost interest. There's always next year!