What I Write About

I write about the infinite number of intersections between every day life and the good news of the God who has come to get us.

Tuesday, July 17, 2007

So Many Stations

We don't have cable at home. So when I go on the road I more or less channel surf non-stop. Even when there's nothing on. Which is more or less all the time.

Like tonight at Emerald Isle. Do I subject myself to the WNBA? Or do I watch World Series of Poker? I have a question--how can there be a World Series of anything if it goes on interminably? Or do I watch the Soap Opera network? Or maybe one of 80 news stations like C-SPAN 2?

If a t.v. show is airing and no one is watching does it make any noise? How about if a senator is speeching and no one is listening--does it shape any policy?

I think I'll turn to the History channel for some white noise (and because I can't bear to waste a night with cable) and read a good book.

5 comments:

Burly said...

I always love going to a hotel and watching cable, too. I usually end up watching Seinfeld, which I can see on network TV anytime!

jordan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
jordan said...

yeah i agree about the dearth of quality TV but really all is needed to legitimize cable to me is ESPN

Heather said...

ak - ahhh, television. i think i could create an entire blog on television and it's buffet of options. Put that book down brother!!

for tonight's viewing might I suggest:
Last Comic Standing - 9pm NBC - while cable not required I guarantee at least a couple of audible laughs AND there is a guy from hickory in the finals. he's not that funny but come on he's from hickory - that makes you kind of funny from birth.

Mythbusters - 9pm Discovery - please do not confuse with ghostbusters; totally different but worth watching during the commericals of LCS.

You can also pick up a bit of the Chapelle show on Comedy Central and/or MTV Cribs. Now I don't pretend that either are going to be all that spiritually enriching - but oh so entertaining.

enjoy!

Anonymous said...

Alex,

I currently sit with a cup of coffee watching the first round of the British Open on TNT. Morning tv cannot get any better, watching the world's best with a cup of Dunkin' Donuts joe. Plus, it's over by 1:00pm, so you still have your afternoon and evening free for beach escapades (or support raising work, depending on one's situation).

Also, I shall concur with Jordan. I would pay my cable company's monthly price just for the family of ESPN networks. I pay for ESPN; everything else is thrown in for free!