What I Write About

I write about the infinite number of intersections between every day life and the good news of the God who has come to get us.

Sunday, July 08, 2007

Post-Class Grab-Bag

So I wrapped up my Apologetics and Evangelistic Speaking class last Wednesday. Now all I have to do is write a 15-page paper (autographed copies will be available) and video tape myself giving an evangelistic talk to an empty room that's hypothetically filled with people who are interested in Jesus but not currently following him. I plan on a 100% response rate.

A couple random and floating quotes and thoughts from my class that are still with me several days later. And if you don't care about these but have seen the movie "The Prestige," stick with me to the end because I've got a question about the movie and maybe you can help me.

*What is the gospel? It is the good news of God's victory over everything wrong in the world and in us through the life, death, resurrection and promised return of Jesus Christ.

*A great moral code is not the power or uniqueness of Christianity. All religions have moral codes and even those who claim no religious affiliation have constructed a moral code for themselves. What makes Christianity unique is that it is the only religious system that deals decisively with the hard reality that absolutely no one lives up to any moral code--not even the ones that we invent for ourselves. What makes Christianity glorious is that the final decisive act is not ours to perform but has been done for us by God Himself, at great cost to Himself.

*95% of human beings hear words as pictures. The human mind is craving to create images to grasp what is being said. Story-telling, therefore, is critical for the preacher because stories turn ears into eyes. "We seek to reach a generation that hears with their eyes and thinks with their heart," Ravi Zacharias.

*This from Walt Whitman:
After all the seas are crossed (as they seem already cross'd)
After the great captains and engineers have accomplished their work,
After the noble inventors, after the scientists, the chemist, the geologist, the ethnologist,
Finally shall come the poet worthy of that name
The true son of God shall come singing his songs

*
I've added two new links over to the right. The first is a new blog from one of my teachers last week, John Armstrong. I commend him/his blog highly to you (as I do all the bloggers that I've got listed over there) as someone who is both wise and articulate and engaged with matters of faith, culture and everyday life. The second is a link that students who read my blog should check out: Student Soul. It's InterVarsity's e-magazine dealing with issues of campus life, leadership, and following Christ.

*
Okay, so The Prestige. Rented it this weekend, great rental, thought things tied up pretty clearly at the end (don't read the rest if you haven't seen it and plan on doing so): the one dude had a twin, they lived one life between the two of them, all good. But the very last little voice-over at the end has Michael Caine telling me that I think I know that truth but I really don't. Am I missing something?

No comments: