What I Write About

I write about the infinite number of intersections between every day life and the good news of the God who has come to get us.

Friday, July 06, 2007

Home Sweet Home

Last night I was putting my son Davis to bed after missing him big-time during my week away in Madison. I was leaving the room when he called out to me.

"Daddy?"

"Yes, son."

"I love you daddy."

"I love you too, son."

"Daddy?" he said again, working as hard as he could to stall bedtime for even just a few more seconds.

"Yes, Davis."

"I love you so much."

"I love you too. Good night."

I just spent a great week learning about all sorts of discussions surrounding the existence of God and inviting others to share in the with-God life. But at the end of it all, nothing convinces me more than the opportunity I have to share life with this little 3-year-old and his 18-month-old sister. The joy and the love that I have in those relationships is doing the work that Jesus invited his disciples into when he commended the faith of children as a model for true relating to God.

While the above exchange was clearly designed to buy a few more seconds before bed, there are sweet moments of spontaneous expressions of love pretty regularly from our little guy. And the joy and the warm-fuzzies that I get from those words has prompted me to be much more thoughtful and regularly spontaneous in my expressions of love to my Good Father who loves me and who (unfathonable to me) watches over me with an infinitely greater fondness for me than I have for my own kids.

No comments: