What I Write About

I write about the infinite number of intersections between every day life and the good news of the God who has come to get us.

Thursday, May 17, 2007

It's not about you

I'm preaching on 1 Cor 12 this weekend, "Now concerning spiritual gifts..."

As I've been going through the text this week, I am profoundly struck by how the text is not about Spiritual gifts! It's about core identity issues (you're no longer gentiles; you're Christ's body) and how these identity issues tell the people how they should be loving each other.

Less important than the "lists" of gifts Paul gives is that there is one and the same Spirit who gives them. Less important than the gift a person has is that the person realizes that the gift is given by God and therefore to be used for building up the body.

Less important than questions of what might have ceased is the issue of what must continue: our identity is shaped at its core by our union and communion with the triune God, through baptism into Christ by the Spirit.

5 comments:

Burly said...

Are you going to be doing a two-parter? Will you give time to the "less important" stuff, or will you give a disclaimer of sorts that you want to focus on the more important parts (especially because the less important parts, in this instance, get all the press)?

J. R. Daniel Kirk said...

No way, man. I'm Presbyterian! You think a charismatic can goad me into preaching on the spiritual gifts?! You crazy! you crazy, crazy, crazy!

Anonymous said...

i like this thought process... "what can we all agree on?"... good stuff. :)

Burly said...

I'm not a charismatic ... I'm a cautious continuationist as it relates to spiritual gifts ... and in case you're wondering ... I don't think "the list[s]" are all-inclusive ... because I'm pretty sure free-style rapping is my primary gift ...

J. R. Daniel Kirk said...

Yeah, Burly, I know what you're saying about the rapping thing. I'm no freestylist, but...

When I'm alone in my room
sometimes I stare at the wall
and in the back of my mind
I hear my conscience call
Telling me I need a girl
Who's as sweet as a dove
For the first time in my life
I see I need love...