What I Write About

I write about the infinite number of intersections between every day life and the good news of the God who has come to get us.

Wednesday, May 02, 2007

If I Started a Band...

If I started a band...

1. The band name would be "Edible Spackle" as in: "Man, these mashed potatoes taste like edible spackle."

2. It would suck, because in spite of the fact that my family is swimming in musical ability I have none whatsoever.

3. We would cover songs from non-Christian bands that had significant spiritual meaning. I heard this early-90's flashback the other day while shopping at Kroger. It's by Extreme, the same band that stole women's hearts by telling them to stop saying "I love you" and just sleep with me with the acoustic, misleadingly-sweet-sounding song "More than Words." This one's "Holehearted," and the grapplings are rich:

Life's ambition occupies my time
Priorities confuse the mind
Happiness one step behind
This inner peace I've yet to find

Rivers flow into the sea
Yet even the sea is not so full of me
If I'm not blind why can't I see
That a circle can't fit
Where a square should be

There's a hole in my heart
That can only be filled by you
And this hole in my heart
Can't be filled with the things I do

Hole hearted
Hole hearted

This heart of stone is where I hide
These feet of clay kept warm inside
Day by day less satisfied
Not fade away before I die

Rivers flow into the sea
Yet even the sea is not so full of me
If I'm not blind why can't I see
That a circle can't fit
Where a square should be

There's a hole in my heart
That can only be filled by you
And this hole in my heart
Can't be filled with the things I do
There's a hole in my heart
That can only be filled by you
And this hole in my heart
Can't be filled with the things I do

Hole hearted
Hole hearted
Hole hearted
Hole hearted

2 comments:

J. R. Daniel Kirk said...

Great vision, bro. I think you would also have to do the ol' classic: "I used to love her (but I had to kill her)."

Alex said...

good word, bro. i think all guns and roses songs would get an automatic bid into the playlist of edible spackle.