What I Write About

I write about the infinite number of intersections between every day life and the good news of the God who has come to get us.

Friday, May 18, 2007

Barry's Birthday

I'm double posting from my own blog today. Not enough creative energy to do two originals, and I think that what I posted on sibboleth counts as something that won't put Alex's readers to sleep. (BTW, bro, when are you back from camp? I'm worn out!) And, it's fitting to post here because my first post about Barry was on Alex's birthday (Feb 25, see link below) and now this one is on Barry's birthday. Ooo... spooky...

For those of you who missed the Feb 25 post, Barry is a less-than-socially-integrated man who goes to our church. He sells his drawings for $5-10 a pop, smokes cigarettes, and hangs out at a coffee shop that I walk past as I take Cora Marie to and from nursery school every day.

On Wednesday, Barry flagged me down across the street and after chatting for a minute told me that Fri was his birthday. That would be today. Barry is now 55.

So on the way to pick up Cora Marie I stopped by the supermarket where I grabbed an individually sized birthday cake; I swung by Micky D's and grabbed him a gift card, then I circumvented his perch to go get CM. We found him near his normal spot; we gave him his cake and gift cards. He was a little disappointed not to get cash, but was relieved to hear that he could use the cards to buy coffee.

Then Cora Marie and I both had sad moments. Hers came when Barry didn't offer her any cake, even though we had sung happy birthday.

Mine came as Barry asked about my family, and I asked about his. He has siblings in MD, FL, and NY. I asked, "When was the last time you saw your family?" "At my mom's funeral." "How long ago did she die?" "1997. But my family sends me cards."

What about the house where he lives? "Yeah, other people live there." "Do you have friends in your house?" "No. My only friends are you and people from church."

Happy birthday, Barry.

No comments: