What I Write About

I write about the infinite number of intersections between every day life and the good news of the God who has come to get us.

Thursday, September 14, 2006

Really Knowing God's Will

One of the things that Mark Acuff, the pastor who's leading our weekly Knowing God's Will seminar, talked about yesterday as well as last week was the process of having our minds and hearts transformed. One of the goals of the Christian life (and I think he credited Dallas Willard with this idea) is that our hearts and minds would be so transformed and conformed that we would actually have the mind of Christ.

When this happens, knowing God's will for our lives is no longer a search but as simple as being aware of what we want to do. Our will is co-joined with God's, our impulses are holy and good. It's never going to be perfect and it always will require some degree of testing, but there might come a day in our lives where Christ has actually been formed in us to the degree that knowing God's will is as clear to us as knowing exactly what our best friend would want for their birthday.

Maybe that'll happen someday. Until then, I'm still in deliberate search mode.

4 comments:

J. R. Daniel Kirk said...

Here's my shortcut question to get at "God's will": What does "death for me" and "life for other" look like in this situation?

Burly said...

That shortcut question doesn't match my awareness of what I want to do. Finding God's will is a pursuit for me personally that helps me avoid finding God himself.

Unknown said...

Great idea with the seminar.

I recently read a book by Garry Friesen on the topic and I found it really helpful: it's called "Decision Making and the Will of God." He does a great job of connecting knowing God's will to seeking wisdom. It takes about an hour or so to scan and might be worth a look.

Keep blogging. I really appreciate it. I'll see you at Regionals.

Burly said...

I think Friesen's book is a good starting point ... now for the BUT ... but not agreat place to end the pursuit ... as my advisor said (who had Friesen as a guest lecturer in one of his classes) -- he doesn't take the book of Acts into account much ... unless I remember the book wrong ... somebody tell me if I remember it wrong ... or I'll go downstairs and look again ...