What I Write About

I write about the infinite number of intersections between every day life and the good news of the God who has come to get us.

Monday, September 11, 2006

My Dave Matthews Band Prayer

So I'm not like a "oh-my-gosh-they're-so-great-i've-seen- them-in-concert-every-time-they've-come-to-town-and- i-dropped-out-one-semester-to-follow-them-
around-the-country" kind of fan, but I do like the Dave Matthews Band.

And one of their songs is a prayer-guide for me. Here's the chorus for "Where are You Going:"

I am no superman.
I have no answers for you
I am no hero, that’s for sure.
But I do know one thing:
is where you are is where I belong
I do know, where you go, is where I wanna be.

Where are you goin'? Where do you go? Let's go.

The first part of it deals with my pride. I often, in fact, do like to think of myself as superman, as a hero come to save the day. It's a common temptation for ministers to have a superman complex, a martyr complex, a Messiah complex, or even a dizzying combination of all of the above. This puts me back in my proverbial place.

The second part of it humbly reminds me that this is God's work. He's at work long before I show up anywhere and will continue to be at work long after I leave. My job is to simply join him in his work. My work is to ask God, "where are you going?" and then humbly join him in that place. Because where he is, that's where I want to be.

It's a great prayer, it brings me back to the place where I do want to be. Where ever the Lord is at work, that's where Life is to be experienced and known.

No comments: