What I Write About

I write about the infinite number of intersections between every day life and the good news of the God who has come to get us.

Sunday, June 25, 2006

Unavision Reminds Me of Who I Want to Be

One of the interesting things about bouncing back and forth between Unavision and ABC's coverage of the World Cup (besides trying to figure out which teams were playing when it's listed in Spanish--my three years living in Spain in Junior High was a long time ago!) was to see how their coverage differed.

ABC's coverage was never more than five minutes away from some sort of plug for Team USA: an interview at halftime with a player or a coach or a team waterboy, the countdown ticker for Team USA's next game, a quick plug by the play-by-play announcer reminding us all that the Red, White, and Blue was coming up in just about sixteen hours. It was a very USA-centric world.

Unavision, in contrast, even with 95% of it's viewers coming from Mexico, almost never mentioned the Mexican team. The halftime show was the highlights and analysis of whatever game is currently underway, not a teaser for Mexico's next big match-up.

In thinking about this, it struck me that soccer's relationship with the American public is much like a junior high boy who belches every few minutes in group conversation in order to be returned to the center ring. It needs help to be noticed. ABC feels the need to remind all of us as Americans that Team USA soccer is important. ABC knows that we're not really sold on the game, and so they need to do lots of selling to us.

Unavision, on the other hand, serves a Latino community that is deeply in love with futbol. No one needs to sell the Mexican team or the sport to anyone. The people love the game, and the game loves its' fans. They are therefore free to relax and enjoy all the games, to not be so self-obsessed and so self-absorbed. They are less anxious, more fun, and can appreciate whoever's playing if it's a match well played.

I want to be like this when I grow up. More Unavision and futbol, less ABC and soccer. I want to be secure in my place in the world--in my work, in my gifts, in my marriage and friendships. I want to be secure in who God is making me to be--in part so that I will be freed up to enjoy and celebrate someone else who maybe does all of it much better than I do. I want to know God, and know His Love and Acceptance and so be very much secure in my place in the world. I'd love to not need to be pointed to and applauded every few minutes to feel good about myself. I see God doing this in me, but it's a long road from junior-high belcher to maturity in Christ. Ay caramba, is it long.

6 comments:

Shane Arthur said...

Good post, I want to grow up too. Dawn would like that I think:)

Macon said...

Univision.

:-)

Unknown said...

Haven't replied in awhile, AK. I went on vacation, and was overwhelmed trying to catch up. But I'm back. This is good. This is real good. As I'm currently unemployed (well, as of July 1), I am once again dealing with understanding the gospel in its simplest and truest form -- that the God of the Universe sees, acknowledges, pursues, loves ME. I don't have to grapple, perform, or one-up. I just have to BE. Thanks for reminding me of the beauty and freedom in growning up.

Alex said...

Shane: Growing up is really over-rated, be sure to tell Dawn that.

Macon: Univision, right. Shoot.

Katie: Employment is also really over-rated, be sure to tell your parents and roommates that.

Andrew said...

I do love me some World Cup soccer. If the ABC or ESPN color commentary starts to bog you down, I highly reccomend the mute button: it's how I watch most of the games. What do you think World Cup soccer on ABC will be like with America out of it now?

I should probably explain who I am, this being my first reply to you and all. I was in your brother's OT class at a certain educational institution, and since it wrapped up, have frequented sibboleth. Through way of links and responses I've made my way to yours. So, that's who this stranger is.

I, like you, am a big fan of C.S. Lewis. In the future, look for my comments popping up when you mention ol' Piebald.

TheDudeAbides said...

Yes Alex, you are beginning to understand the Beautiful Game. My heart is glad! Good thoughts as well, I can add this to my list of things to process coming of the week and half at ONS. i feel like a cow chewing its cud...gross.