What I Write About

I write about the infinite number of intersections between every day life and the good news of the God who has come to get us.

Thursday, June 22, 2006

Thursday Grab-Bag

Been a while since I've grab-bagged it...

*Que Lastima en La Copa de Mundial: The Latino population is so huge here in North Carolina that Unavision is on free t.v. And they've got every game covered for the whole tournament. Ergo, I've been able to catch un poco de futbol even without cable. That pretty much settles where I stand on immigration reform. But in the mean time, USA lost today. And even though we looked fairly decent in the second half perhaps it's time for us to face the music: we're just not that good. Japon contra Brasilia comes on in a couple hours, maybe I can catch a little bit of my second favorite team (my dad grew up a missionary kid in Brazil) later this afternoon. Me encanta!

*Happy Birthday Mom! I don't even think she reads this thing (it is perhaps an indictment on anyone's writing when your own mother won't read it) but just in case she does, thanks for being born--I'm a better person because of it. Really.

*Summer, Summer, Summer Time. Yesterday was the first official day of summer and it is appropriately hot and humid and nasty here in the Triangle area. In the mean time, summer for me generally means a whole lot of reading. When the school year ends I switch into my alter-ego: from wild extravert guy to nerdy book guy. Mostly I've been reading for my class that starts next Wednesday, but I've got some fun reading lined up when that's over. I'm looking forward to reading Freakonomics at the beach in July. And once all my class work is done, I'll turn my focus to reading a good bit of Missional Church/Emerging Church type books as the tide turns towards the new school year. These are folks who are re-thinking ministry from the ground up for a post-modern culture and they really make me think more outside the proverbial (and oft-dissed) box.

*Best dessert ever chemically invented by humankind? Cool Whip. Really. There's nothing natural about it whatsoever, so I don't have to worry about my lactose-intolerance issues. All I need is a tub of Cool Whip and an extra-large spoon, and I'm good. Maybe even mix in some strawberries or blueberries if you want to get all healthy on me and it makes a great summer time treat. Hey, with such creative and avante-garde recipes like that, maybe I'll start a new blog: Cooking with Piebald!

No comments: