What I Write About

I write about the infinite number of intersections between every day life and the good news of the God who has come to get us.

Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Piebald in Madtown

We're taking this show on the road this week. I'm in Madison, WI taking a class through InterVarsity called "Conversion and Transformation." IV headquarters is here in Madison, so IV staff all across the U.S. pause three times a day and face mid-West to pray.

I'll be posting over the course of the week about cool stuff that I'm learning in the class. I tell my students that taking a semester-long graduate-level seminary class that's crammed into one week is the Lord's way of keeping me sympathetic to their academic plights.

Several days ago I drew the ire of many readers by showing how Richmond compared favorably with other area cities and the entire central time zone (see Richmond v. World posted below). Madison, however, is a really cool town. University of Wisconsin is here and there's a fun college town/state capital vibe that creates a ton of energy.

The weather, however, stinks.

I wonder what drunk-off-their-butt Nordic/Germanic tribe/people group/person first settled here in the days before heating and air conditioning. During the winter it is regularly 0 degrees Farenheit with forty-foot snow drifts (okay, slight exaggeration on the snow) and in the summer it's in the 90's with 100 percent humidity and billions of mosquitoes (absolutley no exaggeration on the mosquitoes).

But otherwise, it's a great place. I'm staying at a hotel that overlooks the State Capital building and being here in the American heartland, beef is for dinner every single night.

No comments: