What I Write About

I write about the infinite number of intersections between every day life and the good news of the God who has come to get us.

Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Unequally Yoked Sentiments

I've spent much of the past week considering Jesus' words in Luke: "Don't worry." I was struck as I was reading it that I consider this to be approximately on par with someone saying: "Have a nice day"...a nice sentiment, and if all the circumstances allow it, I'd love for it to come true. But in all actuality, odds are I'll have plenty to worry about, so I'll just do what I need to do, i.e. worry. A lot. Obviously, Jesus didn't have my life and this week's circumstances in mind when he said this to his pitiful little band of disciples 2,000 years ago.

It struck me last week that these aren't fluff words, and 'do not worry' isn't in the same genre as 'have a nice day.' It's a command. Like all of Jesus' commands, I either submit to it and so find life, or I rebel against it and find myself getting splinters as I go against the grain of the universe. But it is not to be dismissed as a trite greeting. It is God making a claim on my life, and I must choose for myself this day who and what I will serve.

And in keeping with my submission to Jesus' command, I'm not worried about UNC's little tiff with Dook tonight. Dook looks incredibly beatable right now and the refs will finally call some fouls on them after the last two referee crews got disciplinary action from the NCAA because of the ridiculous discrepancy in free throws in Dook's favor. I'm on a roll with sports predictions, here's tonight's: UNC 86, Dook 81.

2 comments:

TheDudeAbides said...

well you were quite close on the score there alex, but the balances tipped the other way, even though it did seem as though duke might not have wanted to win the game.
and you are definitely right, duke is looking quite beatable...early prediction- they dont make it to the elite 8 this year.

Alex said...

thanks for the sympathy, b-lowe. honestly, when you turn the ball over 18 times in the first 24 minutes of play and give Dook that many easy lay-ups in transition, you can't really expect to win. they put together a great run to take that short-lived lead after being down 17, but they were spent getting there and dook finished the game strong.

basically, they played like a bunch of freshmen in their first dook-unc game. they'll get better, although i don't anticipate picking up a win at cameron-indoor when we play there early in march.