What I Write About

I write about the infinite number of intersections between every day life and the good news of the God who has come to get us.

Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Tuesday Grab-Bag

*First off, I've gotta' give a shout out to my brother, Dr. J.R. Daniel Kirk, for his recent appointment as assistant professor of New Testament at Biblical Seminary in Philadelphia, PA. While I'll miss him tons here in the Durham area, this has been a long time in coming--this job ends 30 years of 'creative unemployment' after many years with other over-educated, socially-impaired, neon-glow white guys sitting in study carols on Friday nights. He gets to work this coming fall.

*Last week there was a stirring in the evangelical Christian world as Mark Noll, the widely respected evangelical historian, announced he was leaving Wheaton (the bastion of evangelical sub-culture) to accept a job at Notre Dame. While there was some weeping and gnashing of teeth over Noll's move, another quieter appointment was made to Notre Dame as well from the evangelical world. Christian Smith, sociologist, evangelical Christian, co-author of "Divided by Faith" and author of "Soul Searching" (the material I posted on a couple weeks ago) is leaving UNC to go to Notre Dame as well. Look out, Catholics, here comes the crazy evangelicals! What's up at Notre Dame that they're coming after people like Noll and Smith?

*Can I profess something to my little blog community? I love Bob Costas. He's fantastic. He's warm without being gushy (as the Olympics can so often lend themselves to), he's enthusiastic without forgetting that these are just games, he doesn't take himself too seriously but neither is he overly jaded and cynical. He enjoys what he does and so we enjoy hanging out with him as he navigates us from event to event, punctuating each transition with important details without bogging us down with meaningless chatter. A great emcee for any event, the perfect emcee for the global event that is the Olympics.

7 comments:

Bart said...

First Rudy and now this?!

I grew up hating the golden domers.

Then they make a movie that made me weep as young samwise gamges lived every boy's dream.

Now they take two of my favorite current authors?

What's next? they start selling cheesesteaks at the ND cafeteria?

Marshall said...

Wait, bart - aren't we THANKFUL For Rudy?

Alex, is Christian Smith an evangelical? I never new that - I thought that Emmerson (his co-author) was, but wasn't sure about him.I wish I had known that when he was my professor back in the dizay.

Burly said...

RE: J. R. Daniel Kirk. We must remember that he did begin a career as a bartender at the Olive Garden. Doesn't that count.

Alex said...

thanks for the correction, burly. it is true that daniel did indeed bar tend at the olive garden for a year in order to save up money to get to seminary (which i love) but i don't believe that he actually had benefits there, which is pretty much the definition of having a real job.

J. R. Daniel Kirk said...

Au contraire! Olive Garden is (was?) part of Darden Restaurants, a subsidiary of General Mills. That meant that we somehow got to mooch off the fantastic benefits arranged for by union workers in galaxies far, far away. I was getting a couple free dental trips a year and saving up in a profit sharing plan (which I emptied for some wise reason).

But since I was getting paid cash under the table, it probably wasn't a real job.

Burly said...

I'm going to the Olive Garden for lunch today. It will be the first time in 4 years.

Alex said...

thanks for the correction, bro. and burly, all i can say is that when you're here, you're family. mazletov!