What I Write About

I write about the infinite number of intersections between every day life and the good news of the God who has come to get us.

Friday, February 10, 2006

Friday Grab-Bag

*Tough week for UNC basketball: men’s team lost a heart-breaker to Dook and the formerly undefeated and #1 ranked women’s team lost last night at home against #6 Maryland in overtime.  I was at that game last night with students.  And while I’m not going to be the world’s leading women’s basketball apologist, there was some good ball played and Ivory Latta (featured in Sports Illustrated a couple weeks ago as the women’s college answer to Allen Iverson) is pretty phenomenal.

 

*We’re off this weekend with students to our Area-wide conference entitled “Broken.”  Our goal with this weekend is to face as much of the brokenness in the world as we can grasp and then enter more fully into the wonder and power of God’s redemption of it in Christ.  So while you guys are watching some pasta-eating Italian while lighting the Olympic torch, I’ll be giving a talk called “The Land of the Ruins.”  In some ways, it makes for an interesting sociological study.  To over-state for illustration purposes: the secular Olympic hope and dream of many nations coming together under the Olympic torch for a couple weeks of games, while 140 college students gather together to talk about brokenness in our world at every level and the sole hope of healing through the work of Christ.  Of course, given my own world view, I would call the one a pleasant diversion but a fool’s hope for really healing the nations while the other I would call the only hope of the whole world.

 

*I’ve been reading more George MacDonald again.  Seldom have I come across someone who can be so dead-on and gloriously orthodox in one breath and then flat-out heretical in the next.  But his clarity and passion and gift for communicating come through again and again.  I’d recommend his “Unspoken Sermons Series” to anyone and everyone who’s even considering Christianity.  Consider this quote:  "God is against sin: insofar as we are one with sin, He is against us--against our desires, our aims, our fears, and our hopes; and thus He is altogether and always for us."

 

 

1 comment:

Macon said...

Does your talk have anything to do with Walker Percy's, Love in the Ruins? Just wondering. :-)

Mmmmm, love me some George MacDonald. That quote is so right on target!

wv: "knubs" what some people have dared to call my thumbs.