What I Write About

I write about the infinite number of intersections between every day life and the good news of the God who has come to get us.

Friday, June 26, 2009

Poll: In Honor of the King of Pop

In the wake of yesterday's news about Michael Jackson, I think it's time to post a couple poll question that I've been sitting on for a while:

1. What was the first music that you remember distinctively being "yours"--a gift given to you, something you purchased, something your parents gave you, etc.

2. What was the first music that you remember deliberately purchasing? Or maybe, first purchases in different mediums (vinyl, tape, cd, mp-3)?

I'm posting this today in honor of Michael because, like most of us Gen X'ers, Michael Jackson's Thriller album was the first album I remember being mine. My parents got it for me circa fifth grade, I think as a reward for a good report card.

Along the way I got a number of albums on vinyl--Prince's Purple Rain, Tears for Fears Everybody Wants to Rule the World (anyone remember the song "Shout?"), and the soundtrack to Beverly Hills Cop.

But the music that I first remember deliberately purchasing was a tape, Van Halen's 1984 (Jump was a favorite song) And later on cd: Beastie Boys, License to Ill.

Funny how I obviously purchased my first mp-3 much more recently, but somehow making the purchase at the Itunes store just doesn't quite have the same memory staying-power as buying music at the music store.

Perhaps that's fodder for a post for another day.

Okay, so now it's your turn (although this will probably work better on Facebook than here): What was your first piece of music that you remember as being "yours." What were your first purchases in different mediums along the way?

3 comments:

Grayson J. said...

1) An album of children's songs sung by some dutch South African diva. Sadly, I kinda liked it.

2) Wham - "Make it big"

I also had and loved that Tears for Fears album. Wasn't it called "Songs from the big chair"?

David Hyman said...

1) I'm a couple of years older. So I actually remember 8-tracks (not one of your options). I remember being on the way to the beach and stopping at Sky City (I think) and my mom bought me the soundtrack to the movie Flash Gordon AND the Eagles Greatest Hits. I also received the vinyl soundtrack to Saturday Night Fever and YMCA by Village People for Christmas one year. Can't remember which came first.

2) First purchase? Bruce Springsteen's Born in the USA. Followed closely by VH's 1984.

Good times.

Alex said...

thanks, guys. and grayson, you're right! songs from the big chair it was, i stand corrected...