What I Write About

I write about the infinite number of intersections between every day life and the good news of the God who has come to get us.

Friday, June 05, 2009

Embracing or Revolting Against Liturgy: The Thieving Bastard

Many of you who have been with me for a while know that I've been attending All Saints Church for the past couple of years. It's a great not-so-little-anymore church-plant full of gracious and loving people.

It's also got this whole crazy Anglican, formal, liturgical worship service. The service is full of prayers that we read together, responsive readings, kneeling, and the like. Most weeks have learned to enter into it well, but some weeks it's still a struggle.

But last night I had a dream that either confirms that I'm feeling at home with the liturgy or I'm pushing back against it more than ever. Maybe my wonderful readers can help me decide.

In my dream, Thomas, our youth minister, was leading a responsive reading in the middle of the service. Here's how it went:

Thomas: "Do you renounce the evil one, the thieving bastard?"

Congregation: "We renounce the thieving bastard indeed!"

Like I said, seems like it could go either way. What do you think?

3 comments:

Jenny and Andy Benson said...

THAT is amazing. I laughed so hard there were tears!

Amy said...

That is awesome! I love the wording! :-)

Kristen G said...

Straight from the NAST (New Alex Standard Translation). I think you might on to something...