What I Write About

I write about the infinite number of intersections between every day life and the good news of the God who has come to get us.

Wednesday, June 10, 2009

For Us Pathologically Over-Committed Ones

Last week Kelly and I were talking about eleven years (!) of marriage and what the significant decisions and moments have been.

Kelly cited some decisions I made in the first five years to say 'no' to extra things that I would have otherwise liked to have done. This helped to build trust in huge ways with her. She was able to relax in my love because I was making decisions, important small decisions, that told her that I loved her.

Kelly pointed out that this is a great example of our 'no' meaning 'yes' and our 'yes' meaning 'no.'

Every time you say yes to doing anything, you are saying no to doing a thousand other things that you could do with that time. As someone who is a classic "move towards" person (see yesterday's post), I am generally inclined to say yes to anything cool that comes my way.

But by saying no to some of those things, I was saying yes to something else, in this case, my wife. This was especially hard when we didn't have any particular conflict. I had to learn the value of protecting our incidental time together.

Initially sometimes I said no just because I felt like I should. But as I practiced, saying no became a joy. I began to realize not only was it healthier for our marriage, it was also healthier for me personally.

I think recognizing that our "yes" means "no" and that our "no" means "yes" is important for those of us who have a tendency to over-commit...and sometimes neglect the things that are most important.

No comments: