What I Write About

I write about the infinite number of intersections between every day life and the good news of the God who has come to get us.

Monday, February 23, 2009

Monday Morning Grab-Bag

*This past weekend my wife Kelly directed the women's retreat for our church. One thing that we were both excited about was introducing our church community to one of our favorite people on the planet, Kim Green.

Kim was my trainer when I first came on staff with IV in Richmond and is currently works at West End Presbyterian church. She is also one of the finest teacher/speakers I have ever been privileged to sit under. She is wise, funny, down-to-earth, clear, insightful, strong yet gentle in her call to follow Jesus.

And from the buzz coming off the retreat this past weekend, it sounds like the women on the retreat were just as impressed with her. I have often half-jokingly said that my goal in life is to be Kim Green's opening act when she becomes a nationally-known speaker.

If you're in a church setting looking for someone to do a weekend retreat (women's retreats are her speciality) she's a rock star. But she only does a handful of retreats a year. You can find her contact info at the West End Pres church web site.

*What do Georgetown, Kansas and Maryland all have in common? They're all teams that UNC basketball has lost to over the past three years where a timely time-out might have helped to stop the bleeding.

Roy, you've forgotten more about basketball than I'll ever know. But the philosophy of playing through these stretches where the guys are clearly losing their heads has cost us in the past and might be our undoing again this year. For the love of everything good and holy, please call time-out when the other team is on a say, 10-0, or 14-2 or 26-4 run.

*These past six weeks or so have been some of the most rich personal reflection time I've ever had: the good, the bad, and the butt ugly.

I've been greatly helped in all of this through the use of the Ennegram. It's kind of like a Myers-Briggs personality indicator but it's not as nuanced. It's trying to get at your core motivational energy: what drives you to do what you do?

If you're over 30 (it's what many folks recommend and I agree, I don't think I would have gotten to the important stuff before 30) and you're in a place of trying to figure out a little more deeply who you really are and why you do the things that you do--even and especially stuff that you so deeply regret later--I'd highly recommend Richard Rohr's book: The Ennegram: A Christian Perspective.

*I received a strong encouragement on Friday's post to suck it up and buy Walk Like an Egyptian. But I just sampled it and I don't know, I think I can anticipate that post-Bangle's buyer's remorse feeling pretty strongly. And besides, then the Itunes store would have me completely pegged as the 35-year-old white guy...and then what would I do?

3 comments:

Elizabeth Johnson Phillips said...

1. I too have a bit of a crush on Kim Greene. I suck in whenever I talk to her. 2. Even my son 2 year old son screamed at the end of the Carolina game. 3. You totally should've caved on Thriller--the entire album complete with videos. Alls I'm saying is that old school MJ beats Vanilla Ice and the Bangles anyday of the week and twice on Sunday.

Anonymous said...

It's still hard to believe the 26-4 run. I mean, really, 26-4. So horrific to actually see it in writing.

Grayson J. said...

I think you already crossed the line with Vanilla Ice. May as well completely pigeonhole yourself with the Bangles. I always preferred "In your room" to "Egyptian". Probably because of the video. Susanna Hoffs....oh yeah.