What I Write About

I write about the infinite number of intersections between every day life and the good news of the God who has come to get us.

Friday, February 06, 2009

Embracing a Little Silence

At the very beginning of my sabbatical I had my car battery replaced. Apparently, it was the first time I've had to do that since I bought the car used about five years ago. The radio is asking me for a code to unlock it and I don't think I ever got one, I can't find a code anywhere.

I was calling around some places to find out how I could get the code when I paused and thought about it for a bit. Beginning of sabbatical seemed like an opportune time to embrace a little more silence in my life, if only for this season.

So I've been driving tune-less in my car since early December. I pray occasionally, make a call on my cell phone occasionally (I can hear one of you yelling, "hang up and drive!"), but mostly I just let my mind wander from thing to thing. Sometimes I cheat and bring my Ipod with me and put one ear in.

But mostly I'm quiet with my own thoughts and with the Lord who I sometimes remember is with me.

Many wise and thoughtful people throughout the centuries have said that it is impossible to grow spiritually without embracing silence and solitude. I run from both. Sabbatical has been a good time to embrace a little silence. We'll see if it keeps up after March 18th.

No comments: