What I Write About

I write about the infinite number of intersections between every day life and the good news of the God who has come to get us.

Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Sabbatical Journey Day 2: Further Proof that I Have the Best Wife Ever

So we don't have cable. This was a joint decision before our marriage and it was more of a values decision than anything else. We wanted our home to be full of guests and laughter and music and reading rather than the dull (albeit warm) glow of the television.

For my part, the only thing I care to watch are sports, particularly football, which by and large can be found on free t.v.

As we've had kids and are working to live on 1 & 1/4 salary, this is both a values and an economics decision. Our kids go most weeks without watching any t.v. (until weekend football games with me) and so far we've managed to work it so that Kelly can stay home with the kids.

We've never been Nazi's about this. Whenever we're with family or friends who have cable, we're as excited as anyone to see what we can find among the several million or so channels. And our kids are shocked to see that the t.v. can actually work without fuzz, interference, or having to adjust the rabbit ears.

But yesterday, Santa came early in a Time Warner truck.

Because while I mostly don't miss having cable, college basketball season has just tipped off. And that's the one sport where I can't get most of the games on our rabbit ears. And so for an early Christmas present, Kelly has hooked us up with digital cable for the duration of my sabbatical.

Over the next four months, Time Warner digital cable will deliver to my very television college football Bowl games and tons of college hoops. When my sabbatical ends at the end of March, college basketball season will be entering it's final (free broadcast t.v.) stages of the March Madness journey. And the only thing left on cable will be baseball, which is about as interesting as watching toe-fungus grow.

Further proof (as if any were needed) that I do, indeed, have the world's greatest wife.

9 comments:

Lauren said...

I wish I could survive without my cable. I probably could, but i'm a closet, well not so closet, CNN junkie. I must disagree with your comment on baseball though!!! Don't dis America's pasttime AK.

Burly said...

You can watch all the shows on the E! network now ... and real news ... E! news live!

Jordan Erika said...

you spelled journey wrong in the title.

Alex said...

jordan is going to be my living spell check, i can tell...

thanks, it bothered me when i saw it, all fixed now!

Jordan Erika said...

Its one of few talents I possess. :)

TwoSquareMeals said...

Oooh! Can I use your friendship for cable? We'll be stuck here during bowl season, obviously. I'll bring beer and nachos! Just kidding...sort of...

Michelle said...

As someone married to a fellow Tarheel, I can appreciate just how awesome this gift is! Enjoy the season!

J. R. Daniel Kirk said...

Would you mind having Kelly talk to Laura?

Alex said...

two square: you can come over any time you want!

even better: i'll bring the kids over so your husband can watch all the little ones and we can consume the beer and nachos in peace!

bro, always glad to help you out! we just need to have an excuse. maybe in celebration of your 100th book sale or something?