What I Write About

I write about the infinite number of intersections between every day life and the good news of the God who has come to get us.

Monday, November 24, 2008

Sabbatical Journey Day 1

All growing up, my mom used to scurry around cleaning and stressing out in the hours leading up to our vacation. This made no sense to me. Why are we stressing out to hurry up and rest?

Then last week hit. And I had a couple of major tasks to get done before I could go on sabbatical. And I got a nasty cold. And all week long I fretted over my need for naps that meant the tasks kept getting bumped back and back and back--and with them, my start date to rest.

So here I am, sabbatical journey, day one, just a couple days tardy. But my cold, far from running its' natural course and moving on, is still in full bloom. And I'm particularly grumpy about it. This is not how sabbatical is supposed to start.

So I'm going to the doctor this afternoon at 2:15 instead of hanging out at Starbucks. At least for today I don't have to worry about agoraphobia: fear of wide open spaces.

Perhaps this is sabbatical lesson #1: what happens to my internal world when my plans don't work out like I want them to?

I would be remiss if I didn't note this special day: Davis' 5th bithday is today. And not only do I love the kid in the way that all healthy parent-child relationships should, I genuinely and really like the kid. His baseline personality is sweet, playful, earnest, fun, enthusiastic, eager to help and a joy to be around. This Saturday we had ten of his little buddies over for a party--a great little crew of boys that are sweet friends.

I know that we'll have ups and downs, as we will with all our kids. But let it be noted, on the 5th annual celebration of his birth, that I'm ridiculously proud of my little boy...who's growing up so fast.

3 comments:

Jordan Erika said...

aww. how cute.

Michelle said...

happy birthday Davis! Thanks for posting this picture...it's so good to SEE everyone!


Michelle

Unknown said...

Maybe this is totally off, but something about Zoe (in the eyes?) reminds me a little bit of Violet Affleck, who just happened to be with her parents Ben Affleck and Jennifer Garner on my plane from Atlanta to LAX coming back from Thanksgiving... ;o)

http://www.zimbio.com/Violet+Affleck/notes/1/Violet+Affleck+with+Mom

All three of the kids are so big and very cute!