What I Write About

I write about the infinite number of intersections between every day life and the good news of the God who has come to get us.

Saturday, January 19, 2008

Weekend Grab-Bag

A couple of quick things to blog about as the greater Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill area braces for a whopping 1-3" of snow later this afternoon...bread! milk! toilet paper! everyone! Us Southerners don't know what to do with snow. I mean, my father-in-law up in Cleveland gets 1-3" of snow a day...in June.

*First, foolish sports prognostications: Eli Manning is terrible in cold weather, and Green Bay will not be friendly to him. The Packers win easily tomorrow. New England continues it's ride to glory with a hard-fought win over the Chargers in similarly miserable conditions.

*Oh, and my Tar Heels will continue to win close games by beating a scrappy Maryland team this afternoon and retain the #1 ranking in the country.

*On a more serious note, memories of Jason Ray have been pretty frequent over the past several weeks for me. My last real interaction with him was at our leadership retreat last year (at the same retreat center where we went last weekend) and of course I'm seeing lots of Ramses the mascot around during basketball season.

Part of what made last year's incident emotionally complicated was that there were no charges filed on the driver of the vehicle. Many of us spent time praying for the driver who certainly must have been struggling with feelings of guilt.

But just yesterday news broke that the 52-year-old father covered for his 25-year-old son who was illegally driving on a suspended license. They both face multiple charges.

I'm not sure what I'm supposed to feel about this, but my initial response is just that it makes a sad situation even sadder. I sort of want to be angry at the both of them. But then I wonder what I would do if it were my son driving and I was the father in the car with him?

No comments: