What I Write About

I write about the infinite number of intersections between every day life and the good news of the God who has come to get us.

Friday, August 10, 2007

The It's Hot Friday Grab-Bag

*Generally I prefer to reflect on something less inane than the weather. But for those of you who don't have the privilege of living on the East Coast, let me share with you that we're hitting day 3 of 100-plus degree weather.

Yesterday I was at a lake house with some students and the outdoor, shaded thermometer hit 90 by 9:30 a.m. I think that there ought to be some sort of law of nature against that.

*Sports Illustrated just last week mailed me their annual "Fantasy Football" edition. With baby #3 on the way in the next few weeks I know that fantasy football is on the sideline for yet another year.

However, scanning the magazine made me reflect wistfully on the many teams that I've G.M.'d over the years: the Aerobie Domes, The Richmond Fan-atics, The Richmond Tsunami (I changed the name mid-year to Richmond Sea-Cucumbers as my team received weekly beatings), and The Durham Crash just to name a few.

Most of these were pretty terrible teams, but the folks I had the pleasure of getting my beat-downs from were great people. In a world of cyber-relationships, fantasy football is a great way to keep up with guys that I would have otherwise lost touch with (and have definitely lost touch with since I've been out of the loop the last two years). I wonder if this is healthy or not...

*I have spent about a total of 30 minutes on YouTube my whole life. But 25 of those minutes I spent with some guys last week who showed me possibly the greatest musical display of all time and a must-see for anyone who grew up in the 80's and loved Inspector Gadget. Check out the Beatboxing Flute Inspector Gadget Remix if you haven't already...

No comments: