What I Write About

I write about the infinite number of intersections between every day life and the good news of the God who has come to get us.

Monday, August 13, 2007

Already, Not Yet

This morning, in a rare display of generosity that can only be the firstfruits of the fine parenting that he is receiving, Davis shared his trains with Zoe. Perhaps not an earth-shattering event in your world. But in the Kirk house, for Thomas and Percy and Rheneas to be handed over without total melt-down is a rare thing.

Eager to affirm this small act of kindness, I exclaimed to Davis, "What a good sharer you are!" It's not exactly true en toto, but it's the kind of person we hope and pray he is becoming.

One of the things that I appreciate about my co-staff Jennifer Hagin is her insistence on calling our students "men" and "women." They often don't like it. And quite honestly they often don't act like it. The men often act like boys and the women often act like girls. But they are in the process of becoming men and women. And to call them as such is both descriptive and prescriptive. It helps them to step more fully into what they are already becoming but have not yet fully realized or embraced or lived out.

In the Scriptures, God's people are often addressed as "saints." This is true even in the letters to the churches that are most difficult and most messy and the least saint-like. But the fact that these folks are not behaving as saints does not change their name. They are saints. They are becoming saints. Whether they are acting like it at this particular point in time or not is not inconsequential (there is harsh instruction in some of those letters, after all) but it is secondary. "Saints" is who they are. It is the name God has given to them.

So we, too, are saints. I don't feel like a saint today--I feel like a pretty normal guy who's got more on his to-do list on a Monday morning than I can get to. But God has called me a saint. He speaks a word to me that is both descriptive (who I am now, whether I feel like it or not) and prescriptive (who I am becoming, who I will be fully when all is said and done).

The challenge for those of us following Christ is to allow the names that God has given to us to become our primary identities, our primary paradigms and lenses for acting and viewing ourselves and the world around us. We then learn to live out of those names, to lean into them with all of our might.

We are already saints, righteous, redeemed, holy, beloved, rescued, transformed, healed, daughters and sons. And we have not yet even begun to taste the fullness of what all that will one day mean for the joy and delight of our souls.

3 comments:

Laura said...

thanks, AK. i needed the reminder of my God-given name today. i think we both know i need that often.

hope you're well. missin' all ya'll down south.

- L "really?!" D

Bonnie said...

Hey Alex,

Great post this morning ... don't know if it's morning your time but I'm having a cup of tea and reading blogs for a couple of minutes.

I do a similar thing with my kids. When I am talking to them about some behavior (Jono hitting his sister for instance) I say something to the effect of " You are a kind boy but hitting your sister was not a kind thing to do " I always (try to remember to) affirm and remind him of the behaviors/character traits we are trying to teach him. (and Alia too) And do you know, it is true ... overall he is a kind boy. He's very kind hearted. But, like all of us, he sometimes does unkind things. I guess that is why there is a lesson in it for all of us ... but I don't need to go into that because that's what your post was all about !!! (Did I mention it was morning ?!)

So ... are you supposed to congratulate people on becoming an Uncle again ? If so, congrats. Eliot is a cutie, eh ? Do you and Daniel live near each other ? I'm sure I should know the answer to that but ... did I mention it was morning ?! ha ha.

Bon

Abby said...

What an excellent observation, Alex. I've never thought of that before. (I do appreciate Jen calling us "men and women." But you're right, we don't always act like it.) Thanks for writing truthful things.