What I Write About

I write about the infinite number of intersections between every day life and the good news of the God who has come to get us.

Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Monday Morning Refrigerator Noises

When we bought our house in Durham, NC, we needed to buy a fridge and a washer and dryer. Our generous parents gave us a moving-in gift of money for those accessories. My goal was to buy the coolest fridge we possibly could and get away with the cheapest washer/dryer combo. I mean, how every-day obvious is the fridge to our lives? And who sees and uses the cleaning facilities besides us?

So we went to Best Buy and found a sweet fridge, on deep discount, with an on-line coupon and we bought the floor model--it all added up to a cool fridge and we got it for relatively cheap. We squeezed it into the bed of Kelly's step-dad's pickup truck and brought it home.

The only downside to this fridge is that the quite hum that refrigerators generally make is not so quiet. I'm not sure if it's because it was the floor model, if the make and model is just noisy, or if it's because we had to the refrigerator-equivalent of heart-transplant surgery outside of our house to get it through the front door (in the rain, no less). But it's kind of loud.

Every morning as I'm up with the kids, we listen to classical music. Studies show that kids who listen to classical music have higher iq's, have straighter teeth, and are more likely to win bingo at the retirement home in their old age. Okay, just kidding about the straighter teeth part.

The refrigerator's hum, however, tends to drown out the soft, lilting classical music that's supposedly enriching the uranium of my kids' grey matter.

I was reflecting on that yesterday morning as I was getting ready for my day. Sunday had been a great day of worship, rest, time with the kids and my wife, and some great basketball. But now here it was Monday morning, and my to-do list was over-running my Sunday rest-full-ness. I was anxious and harried. The gospel that was so clear to me 24 hours previous was being drowned out by Monday morning's refrigerator noises of tasks and challenges ahead.

I'm not entirely sure what the "fix" is for either my ice box nor my soul, but my guess is that both will require attention in order to be able to move forward into the life that I really want to live.

2 comments:

metafiz said...

Stupid home appliances...

Alex,
it's kevin w. from back in the day at vcu. Rachel and i read your latest newsletter and we are praying for you all in what sounds like an interesting year in IV.

I don't know why I never checked your blog before now, but here i am.

Three kids?? Be fruitful and multiply indeed!

Alex said...

hey kevin! great to hear from you here and thanks for checking out the site!

home appliances are, indeed, stupid. you are as insightful as always.

and yes, we're doing our part to fulfill the ordinances of God to fill the earth with human beings...although this last one was definitely in spite of all our own best efforts...