What I Write About

I write about the infinite number of intersections between every day life and the good news of the God who has come to get us.

Friday, March 16, 2007

Friday NCAA Tourney Grab-Bag

*"My guess is that the reason you're not anwering the phone is because you're dancing naked outside in the street outside of your house." That was one of the voicemails I got last night in the aftermath of VCU's win over Dook in the tourney. Actually, the reason why he got my voicemail was because we received several celebratory phone calls all within three minutes of the improbable win. Go Rams!

*And of course, against Eastern Kentucky my Heels showed why they could win the whole thing (racing out to a 20-something point lead in the first eight minutes of the game), or could lose to anyone (sleepwalking through the last 10 minutes of the first half and the first 5 minutes of the second to cut the lead to 6 at one point). Hopefully we'll finish all our games as well as we finished last night.

*My favorite commercial of the tournament to this point isn't a new one but one that I've pondered deeply and contemplated often as it's aired during games over the past several weeks. Consider, ladies and gentlement, the deep truths and the beauty and wonders of this glorious statement, the opening line of the Golden Corral commercial: "Everything tastes better with bacon."

*I was listening to the opening games on-line while attempting to do some work. The Oral Roberts v. Washington State game was a bit puzzling because the announcers kept talking about "Liberty." I mean sure, you've seen one slightly fundy Christian college, you've seen them all, but can't the announcers get their schools straight? Then I turned on the t.v. and realized that Liberty was the name of an Oral Roberts player.

2 comments:

Megan said...

I met with 6 or 7 different faculty members at UNC on friday, and most of them were very happy to meet me solely because VCU beat Duke. I had one faculty member actually pretend to bow and pay homage to me when I showed up for our scheduled interview, it was a little strange.

Alex said...

Megan! I'm so sorry that I missed you during your visit! This is your second time through, and I've not been able to catch you either time. Keep me in the loop and let me know when you move...