What I Write About

I write about the infinite number of intersections between every day life and the good news of the God who has come to get us.

Friday, February 09, 2007

Unfurling the Father's Yes

So I have to admit that, being the older son myself, I've had some sympathy for the raw deal that the eldest got. How come he wasn't celebrated?

But the Father's response is so overwhelming, so vast in its' offerings that it silences all objections.

" 'My son,' the father said, 'you are always with me, and everything I have is yours.'"

"My son" is a direct and yet gentle corrective to the "slave" terminology used by the son in his objection. Sonship is right-relating to the Father. To the son who is angry and self-righteous, the good Father re-extends and re-confirms his commitment to right relationships, to a loving, caring, gracious relationship. "My son."

"You are always with me." This gift of presence, this being with is so crucial to the New Testament understanding of what Jesus does in terms of how people can now relate to God. Immanuel means "God with us." Full access at all times to the throne of grace through the work of Christ is this new covenant. God has come to dwell with his people and he offers us this 'with-ness.' God himself is the great gift, the very good news of the Christian way. There is no greater gift that heaven (or anyone else) can offer.

"And everything that I have is yours." Indeed, if you look at the story closely, the Father divides his estate between BOTH children after the younger one petulantly demands it. The older son had full access to everything that the Father had in his possession. All of it. Had he known the Father's heart, all he needed to do was ask and he could have enjoyed, partaken of any of it. But he is so fixed on his own righteousness that he has no idea how gracious and generous the Father's heart is. Contemplating this led me to the Scripture in James, "you do not have because you do not ask."

Next time you pray, consider using these three concepts to direct your prayer. What if Jesus came to you and said these things:

My son/daughter.
You are always with me.
Everything I have is yours.

Meditating on these things has driven me to much worship these past two weeks...

No comments: