What I Write About

I write about the infinite number of intersections between every day life and the good news of the God who has come to get us.

Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Excerpt from Christianity is Revolutionary: Christians and Social Justice

My friends at UNC-Chapel Hill. I see that you are very passionate for justice! There are 56 organizations on campus that are officially classified as activist or service-oriented organizations, and there are dozens more that are committed to having an impact to change the world for the good.

There is a Spirit at work here on this campus. There are many here who cannot sit still while injustice is happening anywhere in the world. There are many here who hate injustice and fight to make things right. There is a powerful and strong Spirit of activism here at UNC-Chapel Hill.

I'm here tonight to tell you that I believe I know that Spirit. Allow me to tell you it's name. It is the Spirit of Jesus Christ.

The Spirit of Jesus Christ hates injustice even more than people on this campus do. He hates it. And the Spirit of Jesus Christ will not rest until one day when everything is made right. God is the ultimate and first activist. He is acting even now, all over the world, to bring an end to injustice. And he will have the last word over everything.

2 comments:

Scott Hughes said...

Jesus was an activist. I don't see how one could follow him without being an activist. I guess that's a topic for the Activism Forums.

Unknown said...

I read this before I heard your talk, and can I just say, I love that you Acts 17ed it. Again, I don't know that I ever would have thought of it on my own, but I think it was a real interesting/diff way to go about things. I've never heard a real-life non-c audience approached in that way before, and I hope it helped some of them make the link btwn what God is already doing in them and the Gospel.