What I Write About

I write about the infinite number of intersections between every day life and the good news of the God who has come to get us.

Monday, February 26, 2007

33's Ebenezer

Yesterday, I turned 33. A rather un-remarkable birthday in the grand scheme of things, but it birthdays are always good times to pause and reflect on things.

In the Psalms, David is always remembering God's previous faithfulness when he's doubting the current circumstance. Throughout the OT, they build piles of rocks as memorials, ebenezers, of God's faithfulness. I find that I do a poor job cultivating my spiritual memory, so birthdays are good to force me to do so.

*At eight and a half years, I'm delighted to say that marriage is both the best and the hardest thing I've ever done. There have been multiple points, particularly early on, when I could only say that it was the hardest. But the Lord has done a remarkable work in our marriage to make it a safe, growing, wonderful space. The Lord has done this as we've persevered. It's a great thing.

*I love my 2.3 kids. Davis and Zoe and the one on the way increasingly command more and more of my heart affection. Being a dad has been challenging to my patience and my high-sleep needs, but I delight in my kids, and I continue to discover the joy of fatherhood.

*My work at points in the past six months has been about as hard as any time in my eleven years in campus ministry. We're not entirely out of the woods yet, but there's a sense that the fog is lifting and good things are happening again. Overall, I continue to take great joy in my work and the people that I get to work with.

*I've got a handful of life-long friends who I have history with and who continually bless me at unexpected times. We're developing good friendships here locally.

*And of course, there's my internal world. I'm still not as peaceful as I wish I were, nor am I as joyful as the Lord invites me to be. Anxiety and fear are the twin inner-world sins that rob me of much life.

*Some fun 70's child memories:
First music purchased: Michael Jackson's Thriller
First movie seen in a theater: Empire Strikes Back
First home video: Betamax my mom bought in 4th grade
First cd player: 8th grade
First cd: Beastie Boys, Licence to Ill
First Ipod: this weekend, given to me by my wife with the help of some family

One programming note: you'll need to type in the complete address to get here from now on: www.piebaldlife.blogspot.com

3 comments:

Bart said...

well done AK.

from one 33 year old to anohter i like the memories.

Same first album (but bought it with van halen's 1984 and huey lewis and the news, sports)
Same first movie in the theater although i remember the theater trip to jedi much more vividly
and definitely remember the license to ill listening during recess in 8th grade.

thanks for the smile

Michelle said...

Happy birthday Alex!!

Alex said...

thanks to both you guys! bart, i forgot to say that i bought thriller on vinyl! but i also had 1984 and sports, just as tapes...