What I Write About

I write about the infinite number of intersections between every day life and the good news of the God who has come to get us.

Friday, December 08, 2006

Advent

So one of the things about being at a more liturgical church is that we actually celebrate the church calendar, something that I've not paid more than token attention to through out the years.

Right now, obviously, I'm learning about Advent. We used to do the obligatory lighting of the candles in my Southern Baptist church growing up. But this past Sunday our pastor talked about Advent being about a time of yearning for Christ's return more than a preparation for the celebration of his coming. Never really knew that before. And it makes realize that I'm a little skeptical.

This whole Christ's return thing is so shrouded in mystery that I tend to be agnostic about it. It'll happen, no one knows when or what it'll look like (no, not even all you "Left Behind" series readers, so pipe down) and so I just sort of don't think about it.

In thinking about it this week, I realize that when I forfeit thinking about the return of Jesus, I forfeit a very strong anchor point of hope in my framework of faith. Without this certain hope of Christ's return to "make all things new," I'm more or less stuck with Life in the Ruins. To be sure, I see signs of redemption and renewal and transformation, but there's also tons of death, disappointment, frustration, sadness and failure.

Advent teaches me to long and to want something better. And it encourages me to not rush to "medicate" that longing with stuff or coffee or football or even blogging. The longing is there for a reason. The hope that I wait on is not yet fully realized or complete.

And so I sing "O come, o come Emmanuel" this Christmas season in a fresh way, with a fresh longing, and with a fresh hope. Christ has come. And He will come again. That's my final and ultimate hope.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I so enjoyed this post, Alex. As I struggle with remembering the priorities of this Christmas season, it's so good to be reminded what Advent is all about. I get so distracted with all the busyness of Christmas that I forget to focus on and yearn for Christ's return. Thanks Alex!

Anonymous said...

psssst - It's technically not the Christmas season yet. That starts December 25th and goes for 12 days.

Which of course puts more traditionally minded Christians in America in a bit of a quandary. The American custom is to have an extended period of celebration and frenzy, with parties, shopping, events and all, starting the day after thanksgiving and ending on Christmas. Some people even take down the tree on December 26th. So if you really want to spend Advent in quiet longing and reflection (while everyone else is partying) and spend Christmas in joyful celebration (while everyone else is sick and tired of it) ... well ... you are swimming upstream. Just try going caroling the day after Christmas and see what sorta looks you get!

Anonymous said...

By the way, Alex, I think part of the trouble with us longing for Christ's return is that we Evangelicals generally don't have a good feel for what that means, Left Behind notwithstanding. Since so many people just think of it as a time of the "saved" going to Heaven and the "unsaved" to Hell, there's really little reason to long for it. Presumably we go to Heaven when we die anyway, and better to wait and give the unsaved more time to get saved.

I think the above logic is sound, and hence should clue us in that, if following our premises leads us not to do somethinng that was the lifeblood of the early Christians, then our rather simplistic view of things is different from that of the early Christians.

Anyway, all that to say that this Advent season I've really tried to hone in on an ache in my spirit that I believe ultimately is an ache for Christ's kingdom to come on Earth as it is in Heaven. I wrote something on it a while back that you may be interested in reading (if you have time!).

Come quickly Lord Jesus.

Megan said...

Oddly enough, we always had advent calendars in my house as a kid. my sister and i would alternate opening doors and then alternate who got to open the "evens" and "odds" year to year. every day was a new surprise, what was behind today's door? I had more excitement for each new day as christ's birth approached as a child knowning almost nothing about Christ than I do now, as a slightly wiser semi-adult with lots more to hope for than a new toy. Thanks for this post, it helped me remember how exciting this season really should be.