What I Write About

I write about the infinite number of intersections between every day life and the good news of the God who has come to get us.

Monday, July 19, 2010

Re-Framing My Life By Questioning My Stories

Last week I was talking with my nun about how transition was kicking up old issues of anxiety and fear and people-pleasing and finding my identity based on how well I perform in any given situation.

He suggested that transition is a good gift to help us find our weak spots if we'll allow it to do its' work. And he gave me two great questions that I've written down and put in my Bible as a way to direct my prayers:

1. What story am I living out of?

This sounds bit fuzzy until you drill down into it. And often, the tip-off is what makes you angry, anxious, or something you just can't bring yourself to do.

For example, is it hard for you to be generous? You're living out of the story of scarcity. Resources are scarce and it's up to you to secure all the resources you possibly could to ensure your own safety and survival.

What story are you living out of?

2. What is the story of the gospel that Jesus invites us into?

If it's hard for me to be generous, I need to look to Jesus. He became poor for my sake so that out of his poverty I might become rich. He is my provider. If my life is all about my provision for myself my life is built on sinking sand.

Jesus has secured my life and my lot. He is my trust, not the digits in my bank account. He provides for me more than all I need.

And so I am freed up from the tyranny of anxiety about money and I'm free to be generous because I am rooted in Christ and his story of provision rather than the story of my self-provision that ends up enslaving me.

What's the story that I'm living in currently?

What is the story of the gospel that Jesus invites me to enter into?

Some good questions for me to ponder this week as I enter into a good week of work.

No comments: