What I Write About

I write about the infinite number of intersections between every day life and the good news of the God who has come to get us.

Monday, February 08, 2010

Post-SuperBowl Grab-Bag: Exploiting Women, Selling Out, and Lots of Links

Yet another year of our annual, uniquely American event that is the SuperBowl. A couple of grab-bag thoughts for tonight:

-This from Andy Crouch on FB/Twitter this morning: "Was there any Super Bowl ad _other_ than Focus's that featured a realistic, admirable woman in a central role?"

Which led to someone linking to this article and then someone else to this article. Plenty to think about.

-My brother (who's back in the blogosphere after a several month absence...huzzah!) also started to tackle this issue today in his post...linking to the Christianity Today cover-article that I just started reading this morning.

The question: have Christians sold out to a sports-worshiping, crazed, broken nation? I'm not sure that I really want to answer it, to be flat out honest with you.

-The game itself--a good one. Growing up in the 80's and 90's, the rap on the SuperBowl was that it was never actually a game, it was always a super-blowout. But this is certainly no longer true. Blow-outs over the past decade have been the rarity, for the most part they have been very close games, if not always the best-played games due to the super-pressures players feel.

I have to confess that I was somewhat cheering for the Colts. I just like Peyton Manning and how the Colts play the game. But I was glad for the Saints to bring home their first title...but does Bourbon Street really need any reason get the party started early?

Back to regular programming tomorrow.

No comments: