What I Write About

I write about the infinite number of intersections between every day life and the good news of the God who has come to get us.

Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Thanksgiving: The Hummer of the Holiday Family

On Thanksgiving eve, been thinking about how Thanksgiving is the Hummer of holidays.

It's all so very American: family, football, and an over-abundance of food. And it's the food consumption, that prompts me to make the Hummer parallel. Why buy an eight pound turkey when you can get a sixteen or twenty pounder?

Like the Hummer, it's mostly about having something bigger simply because you can.

I'm not complaining, not even critiquing necessarily. I'll be eating as much turkey goodness as I can on Friday (adjusted for family work schedules) as anyboyd.

I'm just making the perhaps overly-obvious point that we Americans are all about bigger and better--frequently making the false assumption that bigger is always better. And that this has been woven into the fabric of our culture from the very beginning.

Have a great Thanksgiving, everyone!

No comments: