What I Write About

I write about the infinite number of intersections between every day life and the good news of the God who has come to get us.

Saturday, October 17, 2009

Baseball v. Football

Try as I might, I can't really respect baseball all that much. It's quaint, cute. And the games finally get interesting around Halloween. But mostly it's a lot of standing around. There are some magnificent moments but it takes a heck of a long time to get there.

I can't help but remember one Atlanta Brave interviewed about ten years ago who said that after baseball season was over and he was in shape he could dunk a basketball.

Seriously.

Football kicks baseball's butt twice daily and once extra recreationally on the weekends.

As college football cranks up into mid-season form and the NFL is also running full-steam ahead, I'm just not sure I'm all that interested in watching the Yankees make yet another World Series run. As fun as it might be to root against the evil empire. given my limited recreation time (got to save it for important stuff like blogging, you know) I'd much, much, much rather watch a game where interesting stuff actually happens before hour number three of the game.

2 comments:

Liz Hundley said...

Haha. Well, in defense of baseball, it's a lot more like life in that sense. Repetition, rhythms, short sprints, but nothing truly exciting/memorable for a while. But my entertainment-driven self still prefers football as well. :) Anyway, I hope you're doing well! I still enjoying reading your blog from out in LA land.

Alex said...

Liz, how glorious to hear from you...and on a most un-likely post! i appreciate your defense of baseball, well-stated as always.

hope you're holding l.a. down and that you're finding joy in your work, a place to worship and get plugged into community, and of course, some coffee shop that is truly your own!