What I Write About

I write about the infinite number of intersections between every day life and the good news of the God who has come to get us.

Thursday, July 23, 2009

Why Christians Must Give (and Get Funky doing It)

A number of recent conversations along with the fact that summer is fundraising season for all of us IV staff types have all prompted me to think more about why Christians need to give our money away.

First, we do not give primarily in response to external need. In other words, my church's balance sheet does not have to be in crisis before I'm called to give.

Of course, there may be specific needs that I feel compelled to help meet--sponsoring a child through World Vision, for example. But meeting a particular need or crisis is important but secondary reason for our giving.

Jesus celebrates the widow giving her few copper coins. This has nothing to do with the needs of the temple being met. It has everything to do with this woman making a tremendous leap of faith.

Ever since the Great and Terrible Exchange in the Garden, three good things have become regulalry ruinous for us here in the Land of the Ruins: money, sex, and power.

What giving our money away does is put a "stop" in place on how much we trust in money.

'The love of money is the root of all kinds of evil,' writes Paul. Indeed, the worship of money drives all kinds of heinous global problems.

So whenever we give our money away, we proclaim that Jesus is Lord and not money. This is a cataclysmic decision, a seismic breaking away from our natural and self-destructive tendencies. We are cutting against the grain of the lies that we are tempted to believe about money.

Giving is the severing of the ball and chain, the loosening of the noose that perpetually hangs around our necks.

Every dollar put in the offering plate or given to your favorite InVarsity staff worker (I couldn't resist) should be accompanied by a jig and shouts of joy. Again, this month, I'm choosing freedom! Again this month I'm saying a resounding "no" to the lies I'm tempted to believe about what money can do for me! Again this month I'm saying no to becoming a slave to money! Again this month I'm choosing to trust Jesus to give me life, to be my security and to take care of me rather than these digits in my bank account! Time to get funky fresh on the dance floor!

Giving is treason against all the forces of evil that have staked a claim on us. It is an act of rebellion against the forces that conspire to destroy us--even and especially inside of ourselves.

And so, of course, to do this in faith, hope and love against all the odds stacked against us, we need the Holy Spirit. Not because those who don't have the Spirit can't give. But because the intention in our giving is the proper re-direction of our worship: away from money/things/grasping after security and towards the Father, Son, Holy Spirit God who is holy and soveriegn over all things.

Unlike an alcoholic's relationship with alcohol we can never in this life be free of a relationship with money. But we can and must have firm boundaries on the place of it in our lives.

Disciplined, regular giving is doggedly deciding to choose freedom and life and joy over and against the slavery of an addiction to all the comfort and security that money tries to offer us but cannot actually deliver upon.

So next time you give, don't be afraid to get a little funky. It's a decision worth celebrating.

2 comments:

Kristen G said...

Really appreciated this post, AK. Good stuff!

... just curious, are you going to post about sex and power as well? :-)

Jon Douthit said...

Kristen, you would ask that... I'm rolling my eyes, 1.25 years later. :)