What I Write About

I write about the infinite number of intersections between every day life and the good news of the God who has come to get us.

Monday, March 09, 2009

Staycation Grab Bag: Movie Reviews, Victories, and Lost Teeth

Staycation was great. If/when you get to be mid-30's with 2.5 kids, I'd highly recommend it: lots of sleep, a couple of bike rides, and plenty of bummin' around. Here's some movie reviews and other stuff from the long weekend:

Body of Lies: Leonardo DiCaprio manages to do a decent acting job and the story is excellent, if a bit gruesome at times: **** 1/2 (out of possible 5)

Slumdog Millionaire: yes, we were the last people in the world to see this movie, but it was spectacular and lived up to all the hype: *****

Changeling: If it wasn't a true story you'd turn it off half-way through thinking that this could never happen and that the writer has over-stepped in his request of you the viewer to engage in willing suspension of un-belief. Instead, it's a tremendously disturbing movie (all the more so because it's true) that Angelina Jolie pretty much pulls it off all by herself: ****1/2

Fireproof: We got this movie because my wife was moderately interested and because a friend who's opinion I used to trust said it was good. It's painfully acted and stiffly written. I'm already a lost cause, spare yourself: *1/2

In other news, great win for the Tar Heels Sunday, looking forward to a fun ACC tournament later this week.

And finally, the kids had a great time at Nanny's and Grampy's house. The big news: Davis lost his first tooth.

I'm not exactly sure, but I think that if your oldest son loses his first tooth while you're three and a half hours away playing hooky from church while sitting beside the lake getting your first sunburn of the year, that pretty much disqualifies you from any consideration for daddy of the year.

I'll have to shoot for 2010.

2 comments:

Shane Arthur said...

Good win Sunday, the good guys were right there until the very end. Let the real fun begin.

I'm confused about the issue with playing hooky from church to sit by a lake; I imagine Dawn and I will teach our children this more than once. Will this cost us votes? I'm trying to win one day.

Staycation sounds alot like Playstation.

Marshall Benbow said...

I'm guessing I am the friend who recommended fireproof, and I still say it was a good movie. If you watch a Kirk Cameron movie for the writing/acting, you're going to be disappointed, but I thought that the message and encouragement from it overcame all that.