What I Write About

I write about the infinite number of intersections between every day life and the good news of the God who has come to get us.

Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Doubt II

I was still thinking on these things from yesterday's post when I came across these words from Lesslie Newbiggin's commentary on John 1:43-51. In the passage, Jesus is gathering his first disciples. Nathanael is invited to meet "Jesus of Nazareth" by his friend Philip. His response: "Can anything good come out of Nazareth?"

Here's Newbiggin's commentary on Nathanael's skepticism:

"Intelligent skepticism is not condemned, for it is the necessary balance which preserves the distinction between faith and foolish credulity. It is part of what it means to 'walk in the light.' There is always tension and conflict between the radical newness of the gospel and the necessary conservatism by which any human culture maintains its integrity...So skepticism is a legitimate starting point.

But it cannot have the last word, or nothing new will be learned. Philip's answer to Nathanael's skepticism is an echo of the earlier words of Jesus,'Come and see. The skeptic must suspend his skepticism if he is to have the opportunity to learn...[Nathanael] is willing to 'come to the light.' His skepticism is not carried to the point where the light that he has is put under a bushel so that the light becomes darkness."

Good, corrective stuff for the cynic in my head...who has the last word? Am I willing to suspend my skepticism, my cynicism? Or will that posture ultimately cut me off from the learning and growing that I need to do?

It is scarily possible to become permanently cynical towards everything. In which case, I cease to become a transforming, vibrant, fully alive human being.

No comments: