What I Write About

I write about the infinite number of intersections between every day life and the good news of the God who has come to get us.

Sunday, October 14, 2007

Weekend Grab-Bag

Oh what a glorious weekend!

*I'm falling in love all over again with college football. Weekend after weekend, the top teams tumble. The games are close, the fans are ridiculously unhealthy and there seems to be very few weekends where there isn't some sort of marquee match-up.

*UNC lost this past weekend to South Carolina here in Chapel Hill, but it was very, very close: 21-15 with a couple last-gasp attempts at the end zone as the clock wound down. We are not a Top 25 football program. But after watching that game, I'm quite certain that South Carolina is not the sixth-best team in the country.

*Friday I was on campus talking with a fellow campus minister who commented that several guys in his ministry had hosted students from USC who were on Fall Break and in town for the game. "No doubt, bro," I said, "I mean, if you lived in Columbia, South Carolina, you'd be looking for any excuse to get out, too!"

*Okay, so it's hard for me to admit after as many years as I've mocked NASCAR fans for their brain-cell loss due to loud noises. But after my visit down to Lowe's Motor Speedway last May, I have to admit that I'm vaguely and moderately interested in who wins the Nextel Cup.

*I preached this morning at Raleigh Chinese Christian Church. Several family members snarkily commented that they were interested in hearing me speak in Chinese. I informed them I was scheduled for the English-speaking service.

However, I did arrive early, just as the Mandarin service was finishing out and people came streaming out of the auditorium and into the lobby where I was waiting. Soon the lobby was filled with the sounds of Mandarin mixed with English: adults, kids, youth, elderly. It was a great picture for me this morning of the global church. All over the world today, the Lord God Jesus Christ was worshiped, in literally thousands of different languages and on every continent. Heaven will be a great deal of fun...

2 comments:

TwoSquareMeals said...

I don't think South Carolina is that bad. I think Steve Spurrier is working his magic there and it's starting to show. I am convincing myself of this because otherwise I just have to say that all the teams are that bad. I don't think so.

I think the SEC is proving that it is the best, most exciting conference in college football. If the media ignores them this year for the finesse teams of the West Coast, someone needs to slap them upside the head and douse them with some cold iced tea. Can you get any better than the grueling battles LSU has been through the past two weeks? No week is an easy week in that conference...except Vandy...sorry Commodores.

Jeff said...

NASCAR will get you hooked. Watch out. It happened to me.