What I Write About

I write about the infinite number of intersections between every day life and the good news of the God who has come to get us.

Monday, July 10, 2006

Reflections on Late to Church

This past weekend Kelly and Zoe were at a wedding in Richmond (congrats to Lauren and Chip) so that meant me and Davis had a guys' weekend at home. It's amazing how easy just having one kid feels after juggling two for the past six months.

On Sunday we were, per usual, running late to church. I came in during the first song of a four-song worship set. As a general rule, I prefer to get to church early, be settled in, flip through the bulletin, and prepare myself to really be present to what's about to happen as I enter into worship.

But every now and then, I really like to be late to worship, to enter into the community already gathered and singing. It reminds me of a couple important things:

1. By the time I join in with worship at 9:38 Eastern Standard Time, hundreds of millions have already been worshipping God for hours at their places of worship all over the globe. The Church on Sundays has been gathered far and wide to worship for many hours before the Chapel Hill Bible Church gets cranked up for service number one at 9:30 a.m.

When we lift our voices to worship or sit under the teaching and preaching of the word, we are simply entering into the corporate experience of Christ's body all over the world. Worship does not begin with us. It does not end with us. This is a good thing. When I come in late and the service somehow has begun without me, it's a healthy and helpful reminder of this fact. In a global Sunday sense, I'm always late to worship.

2. Not only am I simply lifting my voice among the many here on earth, but the Scriptures talk about the reality that worship is always ongoing, twenty-four seven, three-sixty-five/six. Whenever we gather to worship, we simply join in with the worship always happening, the perpetual worship offered up by the saints and angels that we get a small description of in Isaiah and Revelation.

Worship happens perfectly and always. We're invited to participate. Our voice is not lost in the masses; I am not "just another worshipper." But neither is it all about us. There are no soloists in the permanent worshipping congregation before God. We are image-bearers, doing what we were made to do. In a cosmic sense, then, I'm never late to worship. The invitation and the offering is always ongoing and open.

The permanent and on-going flow of worship is what I'm re-oriented to as I enter in and try to find an aisle seat while singing along with the rest of the congregation.

In many ways, that's a pretty good snapshot of what all my life is like: offering to God the worship that I was made to offer up while at the same time doing the small things that make up most of my life.

So next time you're running late to church just remind yourself that you're being afforded the opportunity to participate in a larger reality, and everything will be just fine...

4 comments:

Unknown said...

First of all, I'm thankful that the boys weekend and wedding allowed me to hang out with the lovely women in your family. It was great to see them :-)

Secondly, I was pondering this same thing at church on Sunday. Well, a similar and less-articulate version of it. Mostly the idea that on any given Sunday, worship is going on all the time. Even just thinking about the good old EST, there are services at all hours of the day, which means that worship is going on continuously throughout the day. What a beautiful picture it was to put things in perspective like that.

And although I'm glad that my voice doesn't "get lost" in the crowd, it's good to know that I'm not singing any solos. And I mean that in a serious, appreciating community sort of way, as well as in a "I can't carry a tune with a handled-bucket" sort of way.

Greek InterVarsity said...

Hmmm...I just skipped church on Sunday, what does that say???

Alex said...

katie: i'm not sure what you're doing at church with a bucket, but that might be part of your problem.

dave: i think that it means you're well on your way down the slippery slope of being completely un-regenerate.

Marty Purks said...

SO I guess it's kinda like a paraphrase of that contemporary prophet, Alan Jackson: "It's 11 AM somewhere?"